MINUTES OF MEETING
February 27, 2004
Upper Campus, EKH 129
Present: Francis-Dean Uchima (Chair), Marilyn Bader, Annie Brown, John Cole, Bob Duley, Pam Hudson, Donnalyn Kalei, Kent Killiam, Clyde Kojiro, Charleen Marlow, John Marlow, Jennie Padilla, Pare Pieron, Joel Peralto, Jill Savage, James Schumaker, Larry Wakida, Mai Wong, Lou Zitnik
1. A quorum was established and Chair called the meeting to order at 12:05 p.m.
2. Approval of January 30, 2004 meeting minutes was passed unanimously. m/s/p
3. Chair’s Report
· The Chair’s Report included information on the All Campus Faculty Senate Chairs Meeting, the BOR Meeting, and the DOI Search Committee. The MQs and DQs and job description for the DOI will be up on the web site by March 5, 2004. Application deadline is March 30, 2004 and will be reviewed as they come in.
4. Vice-Chairs Report
· The Vice-Chair distribute written handouts that charter Executive and Standing Committee Membership and if their was a need for unit elections. She also distributed the Executive Committee’s slate for Standing and Senate Chairs.
5. Curriculum Committee Report
6. Unfinished Business
a. Instructional Reorganization-No indication of a ruling on this at this time.
b. Administrative Reorganization-process for further input.
9. New Business
a. Curriculum Committee Proposals
· A motion to approve HOPE 44/Principles of Hotel Mgt. (new course addition), HOPE 47/Hotel Marketing (new course addition), HOPE 260/Hospitality Law (new course addition), AG 141/Integrated Pest Management (new course addition), AG 157/Marketing of Agriculture Products (new course addition), AG 250/Sustainable Crop Production (new course addition), and AG 250L Sustainable Crop Production Lab (new course addition) subject to inclusion of “…or ESL 15 or placement in English 100.” passed unanimously (Schumaker, Cole).
· A motion to approve Food Service: program modification (item #4) passed. m/s/p (Schumaker, Cole) Yes 15, No 0, Abstain 1.
· A motion to approve AG 54B/Tropical Ag. Production II (course modification) including change in prerequisites passed unanimously (Schumaker, Cole).
· A motion to approve the slate of ITS 104/Computer Hardware Support (course modification including changes in title, prerequisites, and content description), ITS 108/Compurter Software Support (new course addition), and ITS 218/Help Desk Support (new course addition) passed unanimously (Schumaker, Cole).
· A motion to approve Information Technology: program modification (item # 13) passed unanimously (Schumaker, Cole).
b. Election of Standing Committee Chairs
· Donnalyn Kalei was the Executive Committee’s nomination for the position of Curriculum Review Committee Chair. The Vice-Chair requested, but did not receive additional nominations from the floor. Nominations were closed, followed by a floor vote. Donnalyn Kalei was elected unanimously (15 yes votes).
· Barbara Arthurs was the Executive Committee’s nomination for the position of Faculty Policy Committee Chair. The Vice-Chair requested, but did not receive additional nominations from the floor. Nominations were closed, followed by a floor vote. Barbara Arthurs was elected unanimously (15 yes votes).
· No nominations came forth from the Executive Committee or from the Senate floor for the Education Policy Committee Chair or for the Academic Senate Chair.
c. Review of Standing Committee Membership and necessary unit elections
· A chart detailing membership and unit election needs was distributed and briefly discussed.
d. Request for additional reassigned time for A.S. Senate Chair and Secretary
· It was pointed out that with the shift to shared governance the demands of the Chair and the Secretary had increased. Discussions followed.
· A motion to support the Executive Committee’s recommendation that six credit hours per semester reassign time be given to the position of Academic Senate Chair and that three credit hours per semester reassign time be given to the position of Academic Senate Secretary passed unanimously (Savage, Kalei).
e. Election of Department/Unit Chairs
· The Chair referred Senate members to page 41 of the UHPA Contract for guidelines and that individual departments need to come up with election processes for their unit head.
· Senator Hudson asked others to consider not filling the Liberal Arts Unit Head position and to leave that position vacant.
Meeting adjourned at 2:20 pm. m/s/p (J. Marlow, Duley)