Academic Senate of
Friday, May 7, 2010 (Special meeting)
Present: Marilyn Bader, Sandra Claveria, Kalani Flores (Kohala), Harold Fujii, Sam Giordanengo, Laurel Gregory (WH), Joyce Hamasaki (WH) , Gabe James, Manaiakalani Kalua, Kekuhi Kealiikanakaole, Clyde Kojiro, Douglas Leite, Eric Mecklenburg, Darrell Miyashiro,Violet Murakami, Helen Nishimoto, Ellen Okuma (chair), Patrick Pajo, Jill Savage (recorder), Kate Sims, Mitchell Soares, Jackie Stradtmann-Carvalho, Joel Tanabe, Francis-Dean Uchima, Noe Noe Wong-Wilson, Lou Zitnik
1. Quorum ascertained at 2:00p.m.
2. Curriculum Proposals:
Action: All of the proposals listed below received unanimous approval.
ELEC 43 Industrial Electricity
ELEC 24 Interior Wiring
ELEC 22 Electricity II
ELEC 41 Alternating Current
MATH 100 Survey of Mathematics
MACH 31 Introduction to Automotive Machine Work
3. General Education Learning Outcomes
· K. Sims explained that the revisions to the GELO adopted in the Fall of 2009 were made to optimize consistency with the guidelines set by the ACCJC, to emphasize general education, to simplify the wording, and to facilitate alignment as well as assessability.
· Question raised as to the loss of the Global Perspective outcome that appeared in the version approved in Fall of ’09. K. Sims explained that the details of this outcome were covered under the breadth of the revised outcomes headed Areas of Knowledge, Self and Community, and Cultural Diversity.
· Question raised as to the appropriateness of the word “graduates” in the last sentence of the philosophy statement. Are students receiving certificates included? K. Sims explained that the state requires some general education exposure for all degree areas and that the gen ed exposure will look different for the different degree levels.
· m/s(Zitnik/Wong-Wilson) to have two readings of the draft of the GELOs and the draft philosophy statement at the August and the September 2010 Senate meetings and a vote to be taken at the October Senate meeting with a deadline for comments to be received on or before the September Senate meeting. Question was called and approved by more than 2/3, one opposed. Action: Motion was approved unanimously.
Adjourned: 3:15 p.m.
Minutes approved as distributed, August 27, 2010