Academic Senate of
Friday, March 19, 2010
Present: Marilyn Bader, Sandra Claveria, Sam Giordanengo, Mary Goya, Joyce Hamasaki , Annie Maeda, Eric Mecklenburg, Violet Murakami, Helen Nishimoto, Ellen Okuma (chair), Jill Savage (recorder), Francis-Dean Uchima, Claudia Wilcox-Boucher, Mai Wong, Lou Zitnik
1. VCAA, Noreen Yamane—time certain, 12:00
· West Hawaii – Palamanui development--we are working with Urban Works to ensure platinum status; according to LDRP for E. Hawai‘i campus, Hale Aloha will be the first to be renovated for Nursing and Allied Health offices and classrooms;
· Budget – by reserving 10% of the B budget (instruction), we will be okay through 2011; attempts made to be as efficient as possible with current spending; budget is not questionable for the 2011-2012 year.
BOR subcommittee on community colleges spent
Wednesday on both West and
· Offer was made for IT position – acceptance by candidate pending; offer made for Web Developer position, acceptance pending.
2. Quorum Ascertained
3. Minutes of Feb. 26, 2010 ; m/s (Savage/Wilcox-Boucher) to amend 4th bullet under Chair’s report to explicitly include the committee’s charge. Approved as amended.
4. Chair’s Report—Ellen Okuma
– subcommittee on the Business Processes is looking at ways to streamline travel forms and shorten reimbursement waiting time; committee compared UH system processes with benchmark institutions – we are lagging
-- Senates asked to review final draft of the MOA on Gen Ed
-- Several Senates expressed continued concern over process by which the policy on the Student Conduct Code was implemented
-- David Lassner, VP for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer, discussed possible outsourcing of the hawaii.edu domain; rationale indicated there is insufficient staffing to manage demands.
5. Standing and ad hoc Committee Reports
a. Curriculum Review—Helen Nishimoto
· CRC has reviewed all proposals received and pending requested edits, all remaining proposals will likely be approved by the CRC and presented to the Senate.
b. Educational Policy—Joyce Hamasaki
· Under New Business will present committee’s proposal on the policy concerning Transfer Credits from External Institutions
· Committee continues work on curricular review process; new processes in discussion stages may address committee’s charge; chair will present report summarizing curricular review process as currently exists.
c. Faculty Policy—Roberta Brashear-Kaulfers
· No report
d. ad hoc Academic Senate Committee to Review HawCC’s Standard eCAFE
Under old business- committee’s summary report
and proposal presented by
e. ad hoc Writing Intensive—Donna Moore
· No report
f. ad hoc Online Learning Committee—Noe Noe Wong-Wilson
· Announcement per E. Okuma; Joyce H., Jill S. Ellen O. Annie B, Sam G, and Kate S. have offered to serve; first meeting March 30 at 3:00 in conference room; anyone interested, please attend first meeting.
6. Old Business
a. Status of review of HawCC’s Standard eCAFE Questions – first reading
7. New Business
a. Curriculum Proposals—Helen Nishimoto
All of the following proposals passed unanimously
BOT 105 L Introduction to Ethnobotany Lab
ART 120 Introduction to Typography
ART 295 Design Portfolio
ART 296 Demo Reel Development
MRK 157 Principles of Web Design I
ACC 193A Accounting Practicum I
ACC 193B Accounting Practicum II
MATH 115 Statistics
ECED Early Childhood Education
HSER 111 Introduction to human Services- Therapeutic Aid
b. Proposed Amendment to the Charter—Eric Mecklenburg
· The Executive Committee has received no nominees for the 2010-2011 Senate Chair position thus has submitted a petition to amend the Academic Senate Charter, Article IV. Section 6 to include the possibility of the incumbent chair serving a subsequent term to be ratified with a two-thirds majority vote at the March or April Senate meeting.
c. University System Student Conduct Code—Ellen Okuma
· VPAA, L. Johnsrud, would like to see continued input on the Student Conduct Code template; no feedback has yet been received from executive Committee members since the Feb. Senate meeting.
d. Transferring Credits from External Institutions—Joyce Hamasaki
· HawCC has not had an official written policy governing how credits transfer from external institutions; B. Arthurs, VCSS, drafted such a policy which was submitted to the Senate (EPC), EPC sought feedback from DC’s, made minor changes in wording. This has been subsequently reviewed and supported by VCSS, B. Arthurs.
· Policy statement on Transferring Credits from External Institutions passed unanimously.
e. Resolution on General Education—Ellen Okuma
· Passed unanimously.
· Kate Sims has agreed to chair the ad hoc General Education Committee thus formed.
8. For the Good of the Order
9. Adjourn: 1:40
Minutes approved as distributed, April 16, 2010