Academic Senate of
Friday, January 29, 2010
12 - 1:30 pm
Present: Marilyn Bader, Roberta Brashears-Kaulfer, Sandra Claveria, Doodie Downs, Sherri Fujita, Sam Giordanengo, Gabe James, Annie Maeda, Eric Mecklenburg (presiding), Helen Nishimoto, Christine Quintana, Kaleo Quintana, Jill Savage (recorder), Claudia Wilcox-Boucher, Noe Noe Wong-Wilson
1. Report – Chancellor Freitas – no report; off-island
2. Quorum ascertained 12:10
3. Motion made to amend agenda by deleting item 6c under new business concerning Leeward CC Faculty Senate resolution (m/s, J. Savage/M. Bader); motion passed unanimously.
4. Approval of minutes:
5. Chair’s Report – Eric Mecklenburg, Vice Chair, for Ellen Okuma
Senate Chair for next year
2009/10 Panel of Referees
UHPA contract requires
a Panel to be established in the event of negative promotion decision.
Executive Comm. has requested that Ellen, as current Senate Chair, and Jill, as
past Senate Chair, be forwarded as nominees from HawCC.
Final panel will consist of 3 referees from UH Manoa,
1 from UHH or UH
Ellen Attended UHPA Forum, Jan. 8
· Sent out report as follow-up on Jan. 11 via faculty listserv.
· Recent vote makes much of her report a moot issue
Statements on professional ethics
Barbara Arthurs request re UH system Student Conduct Code
“Because UH students are matriculating on multiple campuses, past UH President McClain promulgated a UH system Student Conduct Code Policy this past July 2009. The Deans of Student Services and the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs from all ten UH system campuses are currently working on the procedures and are soliciting feedback from each of the campuses. For our campus, the site for the policy and the latest draft will be distributed during the [7. For the] Good of the Order [Kaleo will distribute] and will also be posted online to faculty and staff. Feedback will be channeled through our shared governance bodies - the College Council, the Academic Senate, and the Student Senate - and given to our Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs who will take it back to the Council of Chief Student Affairs Officers. Collective or individual feedback will be due to VC Arthurs by March 31, 2009 [should be 2010].”
6. Standing and Other Committee Reports
a. Ed Policy – Joyce Hamasaki No report
b. Faculty Policy – Roberta Brashear-Kaulfers
- FPC met several times last semester, with poor attendance from several departments.
- Faculty Handbook is finally online
- Tenure & promotion schedule is available online
- FPC is discussing the need for contract renewal/T&P workshops offered in
Spring and further discussion concerning the need for standard guidelines
governing DPC/TPRC .
c. Curriculum Review -- Helen Nishimoto
- Several faculty have requested that the Jan 29th curriculum deadline be
extended; CRC members notified of request and consented. Deadline will be
extended through Feb 5th, with the understanding that proposals will be
considered on a first-come, first-served basis.
- CRC does not currently have full representation from all departments.
d. ad hoc Committee, Writing Intensive – Donna Moore--No report
e. ad hoc Academic Senate Committee to Review HawCC’s Standard eCAFE
faculty next week. It will include a side-by-side comparison of existing eCAFE
questions with recommended revisions. Following the survey, the ad hoc
eCAFE Committee will reconvene to review the survey results and will submit a final report to the Academic Senate.
7. New Business
a. Senate endorsement of draft Memorandum of Agreement: Transfer of General Education Core Requirements —Eric Mecklenburg, Vice Chair
- Motion made that Hawaii Academic Senate endorse the MOA: Transfer of General Education Core Requirements (m/s, J. Savage/ C. Wilcox-Boucher); motion passed unanimously.
b. Faculty Policy Committee resolution on proposed Faculty Mentoring Faculty Program-- Roberta Brashear-Kaulfers
- Motion made to amend resolution by deleting the last two bullets (redundant)
(m/s, H. Nishimoto/J. Savage); motion passed unanimously.
- Resolution, as amended, passed unanimously.
c. HawCC Faculty and Instructional Staff Statement on Professional Standards and Ethics (2005) and UHCCP 5.211, Statement on Professional Ethics (2006)-- Eric Mecklenburg, Vice Chair
- Motion made to refer consideration of the overlapping policies to FPC
(m/s, J. Savage/A. Maeda); motion passed unanimously.
8. For the good of the order
- K. Quintana distributed a draft of Student Conduct Code Procedures;
- Motion made to invite B. Arthurs, VCSA, to Feb 26 meeting to elaborate on the intent of the draft (m/s A. Maeda/J. Savage) Passed unanimously.
- C. Quintana: E Ola Health Fair tomorrow from 10-2 with 45 contributors from UHH,
HawCC, and community.
9. Adjourned: 1:10 p.m.
Minutes approved as distributed, February 26, 2010.