Academic Senate of
Friday, February 26, 2010
Bldg. 388, Rm 103 (lower campus) & polycom
Conf. Rm. 12 - 1:30 pm
Present: Annie Brown, Sandra Claveria, Mary Goya, Joyce Hamasaki, Eric Mecklenburg, Kihei Nahale-a, Helen Nishimoto, Ellen Okuma (chair), Jeanne Ryan, Jill Savage (recorder), Tangaro, Claudia Wilcox-Boucher, Noe Noe Wong-Wilson, Lou Zitnik
· Seeking willing and eligible tenured faculty as a nominee for new Academic Senate Chair; E. Okuma will send email to Senate listserv asking for nominations.
· Senate is being asked for feedback in response to executive policy E7.208 (signed July 2009) and draft UH System Student Conduct Code Procedures (October 29, 2009); E.Okuma will seek clarification from B. Arthurs, VCSS, regarding specific charge. Feedback will be collected from Senate members through respective Executive Committee reps; LeeCC has raised questions regarding the process of policy adoption and policy implementation without due consultation with Senate bodies; E. Okuma will post materials for review on the Senate website.
· Proctoring guidelines have been revised by a system committee in response to a rapid increase of online courses without a commensurate increase in proctoring services. Guidelines were implemented January 2010.
· Executive Committee recommends the creation of an ad hoc Online Learning committee chaired by Noe Noe Wong-Wilson. The charge of the committee is to investigate student success with online instruction and make recommendations for standards in student preparation, instruction, and support. Membership thus far to include E. Okuma, A. Brown, J. Hamasaki, J. Savage and Chair, Wong-Wilson. Motion so made (m/s Boucher-Wilson/Mecklenburg). Motion passed unanimously.
5. Standing and ad hoc Committee Reports
a. Curriculum Review Committee—Helen Nishimoto
· Have had several meetings with a great many proposals to review.
· CRC has received three program proposals – CRC Chair sought clarification of process for new programs from J. Itano and N. Yamane; Authorization to Plan (ATP) is submitted to CCAO – once approved tentative program is sent to BOR.
· CRC is lacking representation from ATE and Nursing.
· J. Yoshida has been charged by VCAA to “build” HawCC’s Curriculum Central
b. Educational Policy—Joyce Hamasaki
· Committee is submitting a resolution on Attendance Policy to be considered under new business
· EPC is continuing its review of a draft policy, Transferring Credits from External Institutions, as well as the curriculum review process with regards to standards for SLO’s, teaching methodologies, etc. (from the 2006 Self-Study planning agenda).
c. Faculty Policy—Roberta Brashear-Kaulfers--No report
d. ad hoc Academic Senate Committee to Review HawCC’s Standard eCAFE Questions—Kalani Flores--No report
e. ad hoc Writing Intensive—Donna Moore--No report
6. Old Business
· Resolved clauses voted ad seriatim
Resolved Clause 1 – approved unanimously
Resolved Clause 2 – approved unanimously
Resolved Clause 3 – approved unanimously
Resolved Clause 4 – approved unanimously
Resolved Clause 5 – approved unanimously
b. Status of review of HawCC’s Standard eCAFE Questions—Kalani Flores--No action
7. New Business
a. Nominations for Academic Senate Chair for 2010/2011—Eric Mecklenburg—none have been received
b. Curriculum Proposals—Helen Nishimoto
· Deletion Math 107 and Math 108 – approved unanimously.
c. Student Conduct Code—Ellen Okuma
· Covered in Chair’s report
8. For the Good of the Order
· Welcome to the world, Fin Mecklenburg at 10 lbs +!!
· For future discussion: parameters governing communication and consultation prior to the adoption of new policies/practices.
9. Adjourned: 1:43 p.m.
Next Senate meeting: March 19, 2010 (Chancellor to attend)
Minutes approved as amended, March 19, 2010