Academic Senate of
Friday, April 16, 2010
Bldg. 388, Rm 103 (lower campus) & polycom
Conf. Rm. 12 - 1:30 pm
Present: M. Bader, S. Claveria,
K. Flores (
1. Chair’s Report—Ellen Okuma
· ACCFSC meeting:
- Efforts being made by ACCFSC to prompt the Distance Learning Advisory Committee to resume meeting; D. Lasner is chairing this committee and it has not convened for over 3 years; B. Leonard, chairing the ACCFSC Budget Committee, reported that the BOR will be setting up a biennium Budget Committee with faculty representation from ACCFSC – B. Leonard was nominated ; further reports that the CoR continues to project unlikely positive forecast; Pres. Greenwood presented to BOR her 3 top budget priorities which ar increase graduation rate by 25% by 2015, Funding initiatives that increase workforce development and technological advancement, and renovate to innovate.
2. Standing and ad hoc Committee Reports
a. Curriculum Review—Helen Nishimoto
CRC has several proposals that are currently under revision and will be ready for Senate consideration within a couple of weeks, request a special meeting for the Senate to consider these proposals. (To new business)
b. Educational Policy—Joyce Hamasaki
Recommendation (resolution) presented and to be considered under new business.
c. Faculty Policy—Per
Committee’s findings are presented as a resolution under new business; committee unanimously endorsed the resolution.
d. ad hoc Academic Senate Committee to Review HawCC’s Standard eCAFE Questions—Kalani Flores
Committee responded to the charge given with an initial survey sent to faculty Nov ’09 ; after presenting the findings, Senate requested additional feedback be sought, subsequently committee sent out a second survey to faculty Feb 2010; results collated and final report presented to Senate under new business with recommendations.
e. ad hoc Writing Intensive Committee—Donna Moore
Thanks go to all WI committee members; WI courses offered Fall’09 in Hilo (9), WH (3), online (2); Sp’10 Hilo (7), WH (5), online (1); Expected Fall ’10 Hilo (10), WH (2), online (1); there will be a system wide WI meeting next week, among topics to be discussed will be the assessment of WI courses with common (WI) SLOs for all WI courses.
hoc Online Distance Learning Committee— per
Committee met once.
g. ad hoc General Education Committee— per J. Savage
Committee met once and will meet a second time prior to the end of the semester to discuss a statement of philosophy; a subcommittee was formed to review the Gen Ed LO’s.
3. Quorum ascertained @ 12:15 p.m.
4. Minutes of March 19, 2010 – approved as distributed by general consent.
5. Old Business
a. ACTION—Resolution on HawCC’s Standard eCAFE Questions— Passed unanimously
6. New Business
a. Curriculum Proposals (e-mail attachment)—Helen Nishimoto
The following proposals all passed unanimously:
Host Hospitality and Tourism AAS degree
Host Hospitality and Tourism CC
Introduction to Human Services
b. Proposed Amendment to the Charter—Eric Mecklenburg:
The amendment to the Charter passed with 30 in favor and two against.
c. Senate Chair for 2010/2011-- Eric Mecklenburg: E. Okuma receives nomination as 2010-2011 Senate Chair m/s (Savage/Wilcox-Bourcher); nomination approved by hand vote 9 in favor , 0 opposed.
d. Resolution on Professional Ethics, FPC—Ellen Okuma for Roberta Brashear-Kaulfers
e. Resolution on Review of ACCJC Midterm Report Planning Agenda Items, EPC—Joyce Hamasaki
f. CRC request for special meeting:
Motion made to hold special Senate meeting for the consideration of the remaining 8 proposals to be held May 7 at 2:p.m. with location to be announced. m/s (H. Nishimoto/J. Savage) Passed unanimously
7. For the Good of the Order
8. Adjourn : 1:05 p.m.
Minutes approved as distributed, August 27, 2010