HAWAI`I COMMUNITY COLLEGE ACADEMIC SENATE
MINUTES OF MEETING
April 29, 2005
Manono Campus, Building 388, Room 103
Lou Zitnik (chair), Charleen Marlow (vice-chair), Jackie Stradtmann-Carvalho, John Cole, Bob Duley, Donnalyn Kalei, Pualani Kanahele, Kent Killam, Marv Kitchen (Guest), Michael Larish, John Marlow, Violet Murakami, Trina Nahm-Mijo, Jennie Padilla, Daniel Petersen, Noelie Rodriguez, Jill Savage, and S. Akama Thomson
1. A quorum was established and Chair Zitnik called the meeting to order at 12:12 p.m.
2. A motion to add sabbatical guidelines as an item on the agenda under new business passed unanimously (J. Marlow, Duley).
3. Approval of the April 1, 2005, and April 8, 2005, Academic Senate meeting minutes passed unanimously.
4. Chair’s Report
· The Chair’s April 25, 2005, two-page, written report and was distributed via e-mail before the meeting and hard copies were available at the meeting.
· Topics presented orally and in the written report included:
o President McClain has proposed a Vice-President for Community Colleges position
o Assessment Committee has requested the Faculty Senate to review the proposed program review template
o CAS of UH-Hilo has voted to average grades for repeated classes
o ACCFSC Charter Revisions have been passed
o Background information concerning Banner wait list features and enforcement of prerequisites
5. Vice-Chair’s Report
· Guy Kimura is the new executive committee representative for the GSSS unit and Donnalyn Kalei for the social science department
· The executive committee will meet one more time this semester to choose a new vice-chair and secretary
6. Standing Committee Reports
a. Curriculum Review Committee Report (Chair Kalei)
· No report at this time, but Chair Kalei did thank all the committee members for their hard work, especially Dan Peterson for his web site efforts including the listing of possible student learning outcomes
b. Education Policy Committee Report (Chair Yamane)
· No report at this time.
c. Faculty Policy Committee (Jackie Stradtmann-Carvalho substituting for Chair Arthurs)
· Senator Stradtmann-Carvalho stated that the Faculty Policy Committee 2005 Resolution regarding contract renewal was ready for Senate approval.
· Chair Arthurs requested that she thank all committee members for their efforts and that the Faculty Policy Committee would begin work on guidelines for tenure documents in September.
7. Unfinished Business
a. ACCFSC Charter
· A motion to accept ACCFSC Charter revisions passed unanimously (Killam, Larish).
b. ACCFS Banner Resolution (Nehgin Report)
· Marv Kitcheen, HawCC IT Specialist, was invited to by Chair Zitnik to help provide background and other information concerning Banner and the Nehgin Report Resolution
· Discussions occurred including the need to enforce prerequisites vs Banners ability to do this and maintain other functions.
· A motion to pass the ACCFS Banner Resolution (Nehgin Report) did not pass
(Savage, Killam) yes 5, no 6.
8. New Business
a. Faculty Policy Committee 2005 Resolution Regarding Contract Renewal
· Senator Stradtmann-Carvalho presented a two-page written document, 2005 Resolution Regarding Contract Renewal and a one-page document, Hawai`i Community College Progress Report for Probationary Faculty from the Faculty Policy Committee. This report had been distributed via e-mail before today’s meeting. She asked senators to discuss the documents and to bring forth a motion of approval.
· Discussions occurred.
· A motion to approve both documents with the addition of the phrase “cross-referenced” added to Section 2b, line three of the contract renewal resolution document passed unanimously (Larish, C. Marlow).
b. Assessment Template for Program Review (Trina Nahm-Mijo)
· Senator Nahm-Mijo distributed documents via e-mail before the meeting and hard copies were available at the meeting: They included: HawCC Assessment Committee Report: AY `04-`05 (2 pages), Sample Statement for Senate Consideration Next Year (1 page) and the Program Review Template (2 pages).
· A motion to endorse the following statement passed unanimously (Padilla Savage): The Academic Senate of Hawaii Community College acknowledges that it has had the opportunity to review the Assessment Committee’s proposed template for Program Review, that it views the Template as a working draft in an evolving process, that it welcomes the opportunity to provide input concerning the development of a Committee for Institutional Effectiveness, and that it looks forward to participating in the continuing dialogue that will shape Hawaii Community College.
c. Criteria for Sabbatical
· Senator J. Marlow presented the view that there should be guidelines in place for the framing and granting of Sabbatical
· A short discussion followed
· A motion to request the Executive Committee to place sabbatical guidelines on their agenda in the fall passed unanimously (Duley, J. Marlow)
9. The meeting was adjourned at 1:45 pm.