RELATED TO PREGNANCY, BIRTH AND
POST PARTUM CARE
This web page is designed to share information
about pregnancy, labor and birthing beliefs of the Chinese culture. This
web page is by no means a source of medical advice, but
merely views shared by members of the Chinese community. Please
your doctor regarding questions about health care.
FOOD RECOMMENDATIONS AND
- Do not use sharp objects on the bed
because it can
result in the infant being born with a cleft palate or lip. (i.e.
- Do not go near open fire i.e. barbecue, or any
fire. It is not clear why this is important except that this
to be passed down by the elders. The instructions are to don't question
- Pregnancy is considered a "hot" condition,
the scale between "hot and cold" or "ying and yang" cold foods must be
consumed throughout pregnancy.
- Do not touch anything adhesive or anything with
this causes the baby to have birth marks.
- Do not criticize others; otherwise the baby
look like the person you criticize.
- Husbands want boy babies to carry on the family
- Acupuncture is limited because of pregnancy.
- During the beginning months of the pregnancy,
not do any
heavy work or lifting or have sexual relations with husband to avoid
- Avoid eating shellfish because it can cause a
- Pineapple can cause miscarriages.
- Crab and squid cause the womb to be "sticky".
- If you eat too much the baby will be too
labor will be harder.
- Drink coconut milk so that baby will have good
- To determining sex while pregnant: if the belly
it will be a boy if the belly is "rounded" it will be a girl.
- The spouse is not present during delivery
because it is not part of the
male role to participate.
- For the first delivery, the mother of the
is present, however it is up to the expectant woman to deliver
births by herself at home.
- It is the role of the father to give the
- During labor crying out will attract evil
spirits to the
new child, so silence is recommended to protect baby.
- Must eat well for energy.
- Squatting is ideal position for birth, if
on your back the baby will have no energy to come out.
- A necklace must be placed around the baby's
umbilical cord is cut, this will "tie" the baby's life to the necklace
and not the cord.
- To protect baby's soft spot and belly, rub
or tiger balm on them.
- Acupressure is helpful for relaxation for
FOOD RECOMMENDATIONS AND
- The placenta must be kept and buried near the
so that in death it may be worn into heaven as a symbol of atonement
humility of earth life. It is required to be reborn.
- Throughout life, parts of the dried placenta
to make medicines for various ailments.
POST PARTUM CARE:
- Post partum is considered a "cold" condition
loss during labor. Hot foods are required to rebuild lost blood
If cold foods are eaten at this time it can result in headache or
in old age.
- Hot foods would include, hot water, hot tea,
pigs feet and high protein meats, although beef should be avoided
because it slows healing.
- Stay in doors for at least thirty days, this
the "sitting month". This period can be as long as three months.
- To prevent complications and avoid upsetting
of "hot and cold", avoid showering, washing hair, or exposing yourself
to any cold conditions such as air conditioning, open windows, drafts
doorways during the "sitting" month.
- Use water with ginger to purify hands before
- Soup of papaya and fish with papaya is
encouraged to increase
- The first milk, "colostrum" is considered stale
therefore it is discarded.
- Salty foods are encouraged to help produce
- Babies are traditionally left to sleep on
to produce a flattened head which is considered beautiful.
- One year birthday celebration should have a
and red cake with a peanut based filling and a hard boiled egg colored
red. This represents prosperity and long life for the baby.
These pages were created by students in the Associate Degree of Nursing
program at Hawai'i Community College. We appreciate your
feedback. Please email
us your comments!
Return to the Transcultural
Last updated: September 9, 2005