Top of Page

Transfer Student (from outside of the Univ. of Hawaii System)

Back to Get Started

Apply Now button

Thank you for choosing Hawai‘i Community College to fulfill your educational goals! If you are currently attending or previously attended a campus outside of the University of Hawai‘i system OR if you previously attended another UH System school and now want to continue your education with us, we’re anxious to get you started. Follow these steps to submit your application today!

Step 1. Submit Online Application FOR ADMISSION

Complete the Online Application

  • For first time users, select Create a Login ID and PIN
  • If you are a Hawaiʻi Resident or an active duty Military or eligible Military Dependent Stationed in Hawaiʻi there is no application fee
  • To apply for the Military Non-Resident Exemption submit the following:
    • Submit completed Armed Forces Verification Form [PDF]
    • Submit a copy of Military Orders
    • Dependents must also submit a copy of their Military Dependent ID
  • There is a non-refundable $25 application fee for non-Hawaiʻi residents
  • Information about Residency for Tuition Purposes
  • Additional information for International Students
  • Application deadlines (REMINDER! The following deadlines do not apply to  International Students):
    -Fall term: August 1
    -Spring term: December 15


Our Career and Job Development Center can help you get some direction! With the guidance of our Career and Job Development Counselor, you can explore career pathways and potential majors. Start planning now and get where you're headed quicker.

Call our Career and Job Development Center in Hilo to schedule an appointment at (808) 934-2731

Step 2. Apply for Financial Aid (if needed)

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Online

If you need assistance with completing your FAFSA application on-line, please contact our Financial Aid Office at (808) 934-2712 to schedule an appointment with a peer mentor.  Priority deadline for Financial Aid every year is March 1st (Fall) and October 1st (Spring).  File prior to this date to qualify for the greatest amount of assistance, as some funds are limited.

Step 3. Health Clearance

Submit a copy of your TB Clearance (less than a year old effective the first day of instruction or on or after 16th birthday) and a copy of your two Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) shots immunization record. This is REQUIRED before you can attend your courses!!!  Health clearance documents should be mailed, brought in person or file drop (encrypted email) to our Admissions and Records Office:

Admissions and Records Office
Hawaiʻi Community College
200 W. Kāwili St.
Hilo, HI  96720
(808) 934-2501 (fax)
(808) 934-2705 (phone) (email)

If you previously attended another UH System school, contact our Admissions & Records Office to see if these health documents need to be submitted to attend Hawai‘i CC.  (808) 934-2710


Official transcripts are required to transfer credits from a former institution toward your Hawai‘i CC certificate/degree.  Please contact your former institution(s) to request that official transcripts be mailed directly from that institution to:

Hawai‘i Community College
Admissions & Records Office
1175 Manono Street
Hilo, HI  96720

Expected processing time for transcript evaluation is between 3-5 business days. However, during busy periods processing times may differ. Completed transcript evaluation notification will be sent to your email.

Please visit our UH System Course Transfer Database to see if the institution and course(s) are available, regarding any UH system campus; we will in most cases honor the transfer.

If a course(s) is not available in the database, students should request a copy of the course description (as found in the college catalog) and the course syllabus to be submitted with the official transcript. The transcript evaluator will forward all documentation to the subject matter expert.  Please contact a counselor (808) 934-2720 or transcript evaluator (808) 934-2710 to assist you with the articulation process.

With an unofficial transcript, students can meet with Academic Counselors for assistance with selecting appropriate courses.   Once the transfer credit evaluation has been complete, notification will be made available via a student’s STAR. 

Once you are admitted, you’ll receive an acceptance letter via email or by USPS. To take a peek at your next steps in getting started, check out "Get Registered"