Pictures of Hawaii Community College
Welcome International Students

Hawaiʻi Community College offers two entry points for international students:

  1. The Intensive English Program (IEP)
    The IEP is for students at beginning to intermediate level or for students with no TOEFL score. It offers 20 hours a week of academic English instruction in reading, writing, listening, speaking and grammar skills. Students are prepared with the skills that they need to study in an American university.

    A student who passes the IEP Level 4 or achieves the minimum TOEFL score of 61 iBT (500 paper-based, 173 computer-based) is eligible for admittance to the credit programs.

  2. Hawaiʻi Community College’s Credit Programs
    A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of at least 61 iBT (500 paper-based, 173 computer-based) is required for admission.

    Through the credit programs, F1 international students may pursue an Associate in Science (A.S.) or Associate in Applied Sciences (A.A.S.) degree(s) in over twenty vocational-technical majors or an Associate in Arts (A.A.) degree.


For the Intensive English Program (IEP)

Please go to:

For Credit Programs
Please send:

  1. A completed UH System Application.

  2. A completed Supplementary Information Form for Undergraduate International Applicants (FSS) with an official, current (within 90 days) bank statement. If your sponsor’s bank certifies Section C, III, you do not need to submit a bank statement.

  3. A copy of your passport.

  4. A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of at least 61 iBT (500 paper-based, 173 computer-based). Your official score must be sent directly to Hawai'i Community College (code #4322) from Educational Testing Services International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores are also accepted. For information about IELTS, visit the website at

  5. Official high school transcript(s), printed in English, showing graduation from the equivalent of a US high school. College transcripts will be accepted instead of a high school transcript.

  6. US $25 non-resident application fee. We accept checks, money orders or credit card payment. If you wish to pay by credit card, please use the Non-Resident Application Fee Credit Card Form.
If you are a citizen of one of the following countries, you may qualify for an institutional exemption that will enable you to pay 150% of the resident tuition rate.

Cook Islands
New Caledonia
Solomon Islands

To qualify for this institutional exemption, complete Section D - Official Certification of Domicile. You may have the form certified by a government official as listed in B. or submit your visa for verification to the Admissions Specialist at the Admissions & Registration Office.



Once you have submitted the above documents and have been accepted to Hawai'i Community College, you will receive your acceptance packet and I-20 in the mail. Contact the US Embassy/Consulate nearest you in your home country to make an appointment for your visa interview.

For more information about the visa application process visit:

For an estimate of the time it takes to get a visa visit:

Pictures of Hawaii Community College Campus

For more information about the visa application process visit You will need to take your acceptance documents to the US Embassy and Consulate when you go for your F1 visa appointment.



Once you have obtained your F1 visa, you should make plans to arrive in Hilo, HI at least two weeks and no more than 30 days before the start of school. You will need at least two weeks to complete the following steps:

  1. Take the College COMPASS Placement Test. Please contact the Hale Kea Advancement & Testing Center

  2. Submit proof of Health Clearances (TB clearance, and measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) immunization) to the Admissions & Registration Office. Attach Health Clearance document here.

  3. Complete the online New Student Orientation.

  4. Meet with the international student counselor, Christine Quintana (, to choose your classes or attend a Student Orientation, Advising & Registration (SOAR) Session.

  5. Apply for a Transfer Credit Evaluation, if applicable. Please contact the Records Office at (808) 934-2705 for more information.

For further information, contact the Admissions & Registration Office at
(808) 934-2710 or

Pictures of Hawaii Community College Campus

Pictures of Hawaii Community College Campus


  Fall Spring
Non-F1 applicants - General, Early Admit, Running Start, Institutional Exempt, other visa August 1 December 1
F1 applicants - does not have F1 visa May 31 October 31
F1 applicants - has valid F1 visa August 1 December 1
F1 applicants - IEP or UHH system transfer August 1 December 1
Intensive English Program Application deadlines can be found at


TUITION AND FEES: Fall 2015 - Summer 2016

  Academic Year (9 months)
Tuition $7,872.00
Living Expenses $15,730.00
Books/Health Insurance $2,000.00
Tuition and fees are due after you register


Total Cost for One Academic Year: $25,602.00
Prices effective Fall 2014 through Summer 2015
Tuition based on 12 credits.

Pictures of Hawaii Community College Campus



You are required to have health insurance. You can bring proof of your own health insurance from your home country or buy a policy here.